I'm sure you might have heard of the phrase "can you feel the electricity in the air".
Ever felt it first hand,literally? I recently did, and not for the first time,either.Friday morning..routine…brush the teeth,turn on the hot water geyser…and the usual…
But this time the geyser had some other ideas.The rummy thing erupted in a ball of fire and sent sparks flying all over my dinky little bathroom.I was lucky my hair didn't catch fire.Not a particularly jolly way to start the day,what?
It took a while for the shock to register and I stood frozen for a second or two before I fled the scene and ran to the safety of my folks' bathroom with brush and paste in hand.(Can't ignore the ole gums now can we?)
I feared further explosions were on the way,but brave ole me had the good sense to turn the switch off before fleeing so all was well in shower-land except perhaps for the stench of old heating coil gone bust.I had to endure it as I went back to have my bath and get ready for work,the ole bones not too particularly pleased to have cold water gushing from the shower nozzle.Shiver me timbers !!
My paranoia of electricity and its minions have shot up multiple fold since that and I dread when and where they will strike next. Now whenever I turn on any electric/electronic appliance I do so gingerly and step back in a hurry and hope that they don't pull a fast one on me like the ole geyser.
Electricity mishaps aren't new to me though. Allow me to brush the dust off the old archives.
Circa 1993: Summer time.Thirst pushed me to the fridge for a glass of cold water and the water wasn't the only thing that had a chilling experience that day.The ole fridge decided to give me a quick jolt as I opened the door and I never again used the metal handle to open it.Anyway that fridge was dumped for a spanking new one with some protective coating around the handle and that was that.
Circa 1995: The rains had lashed the city and the walls in my house had water seepage.The water conveniently found its way to the door bell area and the circuitry apparently drenched in water wasn't too pleased and who would be there coming home from school and ringing the bell but me? !! Bzzzzt !! The old adage of 'saved by the bell' took quite a beating there as I was nearly killed by the bell.
Circa 1997:We'd just shifted to a different house, and I should have been on my guard when I came to know it was a 40 year old structure.The ancient killer circuitry was well camouflaged and as I inserted my cassette player plug into a socket I got jolted again.The ole socket had decided it would pass electricity in copious amounts not bothering to see if the switch was turned on or off.The thumb,index and middle digits were rather uncomfortably numb for a week or so.
Circa 1998: Wrestlemania ! WWF fever was on a high and I just had to watch the show, never mind that the TV was behaving rather strangely through the entire week.The picture tube was adamant on showing everything in green color and I didnt mind that.(And no,no in-jokes here about my neigbours set being an Onida.)
The show began and after a coupla minutes a strange buzzing noise started to rise and before I knew it "phut" went the TV and smoke started billowing from its back.
Circa 2004:Brand new PC arrived.The assembly guy set everything up and left and there I was switching it on.The CPU cabinet was protruding a lot from the table so I proceeded to move it back and voila, another strike.Turns out the circuitry had no earthing in place.Anyway I was pleased that no further damage was done.
Circa 2006: A spanking new mini-pedestal fan arrived,compliments of my uncle.It was an assemble-it-yourself type and so we did.To this day it never stands as high as it should,always drooping down to well below the average height.The height adjustment bars never quite stood still and the tilting mechanism constantly needed adjustment.Now my folks dont mind doing that and they do it while the fan is running but when I do the same I have an all too familiar electrifying experience.I guess that fan has its sights set on me alone. Nowadays I don't bother adjusting it,and even if I do I make sure I unplug it first and then change the settings before plugging it back in.
As a kid I grew up hearing strange tales of the house where we used to live around the time I was born.Apparently that house was our own version of the Amityville horror with the only difference that instead of spirits we had electricity as the main spook.Touch a wall,bzzzt ! Turn on the water, bzzzt ! The place was a disaster waiting to happen and I spent the first 2 years of my life there.I guess my jinx hadn't yet started back then else I wouldn't be here.The old place lies in ruins today.I guess we were the last of the mohicans.
I have heard of other people's tales about their misadventures with electricity and it fuels my paranoia to even greater heights.My dad being a doctor used to bring home extreme tales of shock-burnt victims and I cringed like crazy when he went into details.
Another shocking incident happened to my friend's friend.Apparently the bloke was sleeping and the ceiling fan came crashing down and broke his leg.Thank heavens it went down south.To this day I am told,they don't have fans left in their house as they have removed every last one of them.Every night when I go to bed I look at my bedroom ceiling fan and place a huge amount of trust on it.I think I should move my bed from being in the firing line…why take chances?
Did I mention that I never turn on the light bulb in my bathroom? No, I am not conserving energy and all.Thing is, once in a previous house, my mother was bathing when some water droplets hit the uncovered light bulb which burst.Some shrapnel found its way into the skin on my mother's shoulder(nothing serious though) and ever since that happened I vowed to never again turn on a light bulb in any bathroom.It doesn't help that my current one too has an uncovered bulb.So well during the day time, natural light helps and at night I switch on another light that is just outside the bathroom door.There's no way I'm gonna risk getting some shrapnel into me.
Ever watched a movie called 'Ghost in the machine'?Its about a ghost of a killer that spreads havoc through electric/electronic appliances.I guess I've had my fair share of dealing with such a ghost over the years, and I cant seem to find any way to exorcise it.Tweet